Saturday, November 7, 2009

Bucket Baths

August 11th, 2009

“Splash” the plastic bucket impacts the surface of the water as I grab the rope. It’s always a struggle for me to get the large plastic bucket to fill with water, but after several more splashes, I get it to fall on its side. After the water has filled the bucket I start to pull the bucket to the surface. It takes a little longer than usual today which isn’t surprising given that we have not had rain for several days now. I squeeze the bucket through the opening in the top of the well and recover the opening. I’m not sure if the wooden plank I place across the small opening is to keep things out of the well or to keep what is growing down there from getting out. And there are a lot of things growing down there.

I glance into my bucket and shivers run down my spine as I watch the hundreds of small worms wriggle in the clear water. I only recognize the mosquito larva the rest I only can guess at, though I prefer not to. I place the dirty sheet that we use as a filter over my bucket and slowly pour the water through it. As the last drops fall through the cloth the former residents of the water go into a frenzy, desperately trying to wriggle their way into some sort of water. I make sure they do not succeed.

I grab my soap and towel and make my way to the stall that serves as the shower, careful not to spill water all over me on the way there. With my free hand I move the piece of roof that serves as a door and squeeze my way in, letting the roof slam back down on the wall. As I place the bucket down the smell of sewage wafts up from the drain. The latrine is directly next to the shower. It took a while to get used to the smell while taking a shower but now it doesn’t bother me – as much.

I pour the first cup of water over my head, making sure to not get any close to my eyes or mouth. I only trust that the water is clean enough to wash away the dust that has caked my skin over the day. The cool water feels good after the heat of the day. It seems the no matter how careful I am here I end the day hot, sweaty, and dirty.

I finish much cleaner than I started, but still feeling slightly gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment