Monday, August 3, 2009

A Day in the Life of a PCT (Peace Corps Trainee)

July 13th, 2009

So I figure that when things are about to drastically change, as they are going to after site visit, that I will post my schedule of what things have been like. Or perhaps I will just periodically do so. In any case, here is the first five or so weeks of pre-service training (PST).

6:00 am Wake up to the sound of my phone alarm, if I’m lucky. Many mornings I’m awoken to the sounds of roosters crowing, dogs barking, or the mosque praying (loudly).

6:15-6:45 am I go out the well and pull myself up a bucket of water for a bucket bath. My well has recently started to house mosquitoes, so I must first pour the water through a cloth to act as a strainer. After I’m done I flick the tens of mosquito larvae onto the ground. After, I take a bucket bath.

6:45-7:00 am Breakfast. Breakfast everyday is bread and butter with tea and sugar. When I’m lucky there is powdered milk to put in my tea. It doesn’t last long though as my siblings enjoy eating the powered milk by the spoonful.

7:00-7:15 am Bike to school. The trip usually only takes ten minutes, but just after a rain it can take up to twenty minutes.

7:15-7:50 am Language tutoring with one of the LCFs, usually Awa. I came in with a French language level of Novice Low, the lowest you can get. I do a lot of tutoring to try and catch up with everyone else.

8:00-12:30 pm Classes. Probably about 50% of the classes are language classes, the rest are a mix of technical, cross-cultural, security and other miscellaneous sessions.

12:30-2:00 pm Lunch Break! Usually the first thirty minutes is spent eating lunch, and the next hour is spent napping, playing cards, or just hanging out, relaxing.

2:00-5:00 pm More classes.

5:15-5:45 pm Another tutoring session.

5:45-6:30 pm Hang out at the school with the other trainees.

6:30-6:45 pm Bike home in the quickly fading light.

6:45-7:15 pm My evening bucket bath. It is usually taken in the dark, usually with a lot of mosquitoes. It’s a wonder I don’t get bitten more.

7:15-7:45 pm Dinner. Dinner usually consists of some sort of salad or green vegetables followed by ride or spaghetti finished off by some mangoes!

7:45-8:30 pm Hang out with the family. Usually I have some sort of conversation about what I learned at school today around the dinner table. Then I hang out with my sisters and brother, playing one of their many games, or answering questions about America. Their favorite question? In America, is there someone named . I tried to explain to them that there are 300 million people in America and I don’t know them all.

8:30-8:45 pm Get ready for bed.

8:45 pm Go to sleep. Almost every night I’m in bed before 9pm. Most nights I’m in bed right around 8:30.

So that’s my day. I think it is going to change drastically after site visit. For one thing we have model school in the morning every morning. I think my day is going to be centered around that and preparing lessons in French. I’ll be teaching an hour a day for the first week, and two hours a day after that. I think I’ll be learning a lot of French!

No comments:

Post a Comment