Monday, August 3, 2009

First Communion

July 26th, 2009

The first thing we here from the inside of the church is the drums. Two French teachers who are now staying with us, Vanessa and Sophi, and I have come to see Dorine and Gidoni’s first communion. As we get closer the sound of hundreds of voices drifts to us across the air. The language is different and the style of music is different, but there is something about it that reminds me of church music.

The church is the largest building I have seen in Ouahigouya. Inside there is room for well over a thousand people, with about a hundred or so gathered around the entrances. I doubt that there are usually this many people here, this is a special weekend. Glancing into the interior, I see the attendees of honor, about one hundred young girls and boys, all in matching outfits made from the same set of religious pagnes.

The music has a rhythmic energy, and most of the church goers are dancing with the music. I think back to my experiences of church back in the states. I think it would have been much more fun with a little dancing thrown in. The image makes me laugh out loud.

The initial charm of the church wears off as the heat increases and the minutes turn into hours. Three hours go by before Gidoni and Dorine take their turn at first communion. I’m a little late getting up to the front to take pictures and only catch the after party dance around the alter. Thirty or so girls surround the alter all of them jumping, dancing and singing their hearts out.

Another thirty minutes goes by and the service has ended. A mass of people stream out the doors, headed straight to their motos. Soon the air is thick with moto exhaust and the voices of hundreds of people making plans for later or saying goodbye. We hop on our bicycles and take our leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment