Monday, August 3, 2009

My House

July 15th, 2009

The metal gates swing open as they are released from their lock by the young gatekeeper. We have arrived at CAF/T. The first thing I notice is the trees. There are big trees, small trees, fat trees and skinny trees. Most of all there are just lots and lots of trees. We pass a basketball court and a soccer field before pulling into a compound with four or five buildings. This must be my home.

I hop out of the truck and am led to one of the buildings. I open the door and the smell of fresh paint assaults my nose. A thick coat of white paint is drying on the wall, along with the green trim of the doors and windows. I move quickly between the three windows, opening each one. They all have screens and are large enough to get a decent breeze.

This room must be my bedroom – it is fully equipped with a bed, desk, chair, lounge chair, closet, and table. Most importantly though, there is a light and light switch, an electrical outlet, and a ceiling fan. I am absolutely blown away. I expected to find a bare-bones room, not a fully furnished mansion! This is much better than I expected.

Next I move to the bathroom where I find, much to my delight, a shower, a toilet and a sink, all in working order. Glorious! I knew there would be a shower here, but I had no idea there would be a working sink with a mirror and a western-style flushing toilet. I think I am going to be very comfortable here.

1 comment: